Do You Know What To Do In the Event Of an Auto Accident?
Automobiles are far safer than they were just twenty years ago; yet automobile accidents are still a fairly common occurrence. Recently, distracted driving has been one of the more cited reasons for causing accidents, and texting while driving and cell phone use have been prominent subcategories of distracted driving. Despite campaigns to make drivers aware, driving under the influence is still a common cause of auto and motorcycle accidents, especially around holidays and weekends. Finally, drivers who do not maintain their cars regularly can undermine the new safety features that have been recently introduced in low and mid-range vehicles, which can lead to accidents as well.
Since there is always a chance that you might be involved in an auto accident, it’s important for you to know the best steps to take if one occurs:
- First and foremost, make sure that everyone in the accident, including yourself, is getting the medical care that you might need on the scene. Call 911 if needed.
- If the damage to any vehicle is more than $500, or if fault needs to be determined, call the police. The police will file an accident report and will provide an official record of the incident.
- If possible, take pictures of the accident scene and damaged vehicles.
- Document as much as you can at the accident scene including location, time, traffic conditions, weather, etc. Make sure to make notes about any conversations with the other drivers and note their demeanor.
- Exchange driver’s license, license plate, and insurance information with the other drivers involved in the accident.
When it comes to optimizing your protection, hiring an auto accident attorney like Berenson & Associates, PC can be your best move. Whether you or another driver are at fault, an auto accident attorney can make sure that your interests are protected so you either get the compensation that you deserve or you that you don’t have to pay the penalties that you shouldn’t have to. Make sure that you have the phone number of a trusted attorney on hand in case you need it.